Placido Ibarra
 Posted: Jul 7 2016, 07:25 PM
Placido Ibarra
Idaho 26 Gym Trainer
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kitkat

BERRIES 3595

POSTS 132

Triage. Cid knew what it meant, knew what to expect. People with the most severe injuries — people who they thought they could save, at least — got treated first. Cid wasn’t one of those people, in fact he was probably one of the least-injured in the emergency room, and that fact hurt more than his actual wounds. Allyssa was gravely hurt, had been rushed off as soon as they’d arrived; he was probably only in the hospital so soon because he’d come in with her. He hadn't done enough to prevent that. If he'd been in her place, that would've been good. Things would've been okay. Instead, he was almost perfectly fine, a testament to how useless he'd been at the convention centre. How many of his other friends were somewhere within these walls? How many would never make it this far?

Cid made himself as small as possible, out of anyone’s way, as he tried to find a waiting room not already packed to the door. The urge to escape the hospital altogether, as if he were using up precious oxygen, was fought down by the knowledge that as far as he knew, he was the only one there to receive news about his friend. Texts had gone out, but the hospital was in chaos.

In that chaos, it had been easy to snag a bandage roll off a supply cart left unattended in the hallway. He was a professional athlete; wrapping sprains was nothing new to him, and as soon as he found a waiting room that was only a quarter full, he set to work on his wrist. No one seemed to notice, or if they did, didn’t seem to care. There were far more important things on their minds. He could understand that.

An hour later, and still no word from anyone. As far as he knew, Allyssa was still in surgery, and as far as hearing from his friends and coworkers from the Idaho gym booth, his phone might as well have been dead. He tried not to think of that as any sort of omen...

Cid swirled the paper cup of coffee, as cold as the last three he’d poured but not even so much as tasted. Whenever someone would enter the waiting room, his head would snap up, hope bright in his eyes that it would be someone he knew, safe or at least relatively unharmed from the events. When it would inevitably not be the case, he had two instinctive reactions. If it were a nurse looking for patients not yet treated, he’d flash the professional-looking wrap job on his wrist, and they’d nod and move on to the next. Patients, or those who had come in with patients, were granted as warm a smile as Cid could afford. They were all in it together at this point; the horrors they'd had to have dealt with to get there, it was the least he could do.

Landon Lux
PM
^
Landon Lux
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 08:54 AM
Landon Lux
Transient 24 Pokemon Trainer
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kaien

BERRIES 1040

POSTS 167

It was needless to say, Landon's worries were high. He'd been in the chaos, and he'd experienced being attack by a pokemon, but what happened to him was nothing compared to what happened to so many more people. Heading through the hospital he'd been lucky enough to get into, his thoughts ran rampant. He'd saved Coralie from being trapped, but as soon as he'd gotten her to safety and thought it might be over, he'd caught a glimpse of someone in much worse condition. And not just anyone, but Sammie.

They were busy tending to her, so he couldn't bring himself to interrupt, knowing the high importance and quickness of emergency care. But he'd seen enough to start his worries, and still he hadn't found Case. Not to mention others he'd met in his travels, who may very well be here. They'd all flashed in his head while he walked, wondering what their current condition was. There was always a chance they were fine, and unharmed, but Sam...

Pushing through the door to the next waiting room, so many of them filled to the brim, he looked for a seat. Normally, he'd have been happy to stand. But his head was still rearing in pain from not only the illusion he'd been stuck in, but the sensitivity that lingered. Being outside in the daylight had made it much worse, but he wasn't important to get taken care of. He'd get over it, and get better. There was no way he would bother someone who could be using that time to help someone who needed it more.

There was an open seat next to a young man who had looked up and smiled as he entered. It seemed a little sad, which Landon credited to the fact that he was in a hospital waiting room after a tragedy. But still, he appreciated the ray of sunlight in this hour of despair. People were calling loved ones and weeping all around, but this guy looked like he was trying to help bring up the mood. It was relatable, and maybe some conversation could help distract him.

Approaching the guy, and now noticing the wrap on his wrist, he'd smile and gesture towards the seat next to him. "Mind if I sit here?" If he was agreeable to it, the pokenurse would take a seat next to him. He'd hold a hand out to shake, careful to make sure the other wouldn't need to use his damaged wrist. "I'm Landon. Mind if I ask your name?" His grin was a little light, given the circumstances, but it was still there. Despite the pretenses, he was always happy to meet new people.
PM
^
Placido Ibarra
 Posted: Jul 22 2016, 09:29 PM
Placido Ibarra
Idaho 26 Gym Trainer
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kitkat

BERRIES 3595

POSTS 132

Cid’s results were mixed. Some people saw his smile and tried to return it, some saw it and the best he got was that their lines of pain and worry only lessened to some small degree. Some didn’t see him at all, gaze stuck in the middle distance. Couldn’t blame them for that.

But then someone really did respond, smiling back and approaching the seat beside him. Another sign of life in the room perked Cid up, straightening sore shoulders. His smile warmed further, and he matched Landon’s gesture at the seat.

”Oh no, please, go ahead!” Watching people come into the room during that hour had reminded Cid of sitting on the bus. The unspoken agreement that everyone would sit with as much space between them as possible, instinctive but strategic choices as the open seats filled up. Cid didn’t get it. Most of them had come in alone, but they’d all experienced the same tragedy. And yet, they were still not comfortable sitting next to a stranger in the same position.

But this guy had made a beeline for the open seat next to him, and now held out his hand. Cid instinctively started to lift his dominant hand, then paused, realizing Landon had made that decision for him. Cid chuckled, expression grateful, and placed his coffee on the table on his other side before reaching across with his good hand.

”Cid.” Landon, like himself, looked not much the worse for wear. Exhausted, drawn out, but he’d entered the room on his own two feet, no matter how relieved he seemed to be off of them. ”You—” Cid hesitated when he started to ask, sudden second thoughts if it would be appropriate. He covered it by clearing his throat, then reworded his question. ”You here with someone, Landon?” He tilted his head towards the door, almost apologetically. If he was, there was little doubt it would be a sensitive subject, but for whatever reason, Landon had zoned in on another friendly face. Could be he needed to talk with someone.
PM
^
Landon Lux
 Posted: Jul 28 2016, 10:38 AM
Landon Lux
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kaien

BERRIES 1040

POSTS 167

The guy chuckled after having started to move his damaged wrist to shake. He looked glad that Landon had been thoughtful about which hand to extend, and he appreciated that. They shook hands, relatively strong but lacking a little enthusiasm. Once free again, his arm rested on the edge of the chair as he faced Cid. The trainer was glad this guy seemed to have a pretty positive reaction to his being friendly. Not everyone would be so quick to chat in these circumstances.

He pondered the question a second, trying to put the words together. Was he here with someone? Really, no. He was here for someone, and for the possibility of others. Landon wanted to be there when Sammie woke up, in case her family hadn't heard about the incident yet. That and, he cared for her. They'd only been friends for a little while, but he definitely didn't want her to ever be hurt, especially to this degree. He'd want to help out in any way he could, though finding Case was another thing he needed to do.

"Kind of. More here for someone than with them." Maybe that could use a little more elaboration, even though Cid could probably piece it together. "When I got out of there, I saw someone I knew, and she was in pretty bad condition. They took her off quickly, and she's in surgery now." Trying not to focus too much on it, he quickly kept talking. "There's a few others who were there I'm hoping to find while I'm here. Just hope they're okay, you know?" In all the chaos, it was easy to imagine the lack of information on friends and family that had been there. He didn't know too many people, but there was too much going on for him to investigate too much.

"What about you? Nothing too bad, I hope?" He flashed a smile, hoping he could comfort the guy. The fact that he was here in the waiting room meant he was either waiting on someone being taken care of or for someone who was missing to show up. The latter was nerve-wracking, but at least they could have hope that others got off better, like the two of them had. Or so it appeared, from the fact that he was here unattended with only a wrapped wrist. The pokenurse had gotten off extremely lucky in the incident.

"I just hope they're able to get everything under control and in order soon. I don't know exactly what happened, but the sooner it's over the better." When he'd left the convention center, the aggressive pokemon were still loose and hurting people. There were reinforcements starting to arrive to get them under control. His mind was spiraling too much, from being clouded and in pain to the situation itself, to have any ideas on what was going on. A piece of him knew that he didn't want to know, just that he needed to make sure his friends were okay. Thankfully, his father hadn't been able to get the time off to come down.

PM
^
Placido Ibarra
 Posted: Oct 12 2016, 08:43 PM
Placido Ibarra
Idaho 26 Gym Trainer
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kitkat

BERRIES 3595

POSTS 132

Cid nodded knowingly, letting out a soft ’ah.’ On the one hand, it was good that Landon wasn’t waiting for treatment for unseen injuries, though not as good that he was stuck with nothing to distract him from his friend’s condition. All the more reason to seek out conversation, then. Cid leaned in a little, pitching his voice in a low stage whisper. “Better be careful how loud you say that. Nurses have been dragging people out as soon as they realize they’re not family or a patient. But I’ve got people I’m looking for as well, so I got your back if they come for you.” It wasn’t the most appropriate situation to put a fist out for a bump, so Cid flashed Landon a shaka sign from where his hand rested on his lap.

When Landon asked about his own friend, he couldn’t help but deflate a little. “Same boat, really. Came in with a friend, she was, uh… not doing great. They’re probably neighbours right now.” Cid tried to play it off light, but the crooked grin never reached his eyes. In emergencies like this, going straight into surgery even with the hospital packed to bursting was never a good sign. Sure, it meant they got treatment immediately, and that was definitely better than the alternative, but…

“Maybe when everything’s calmed down, it’s not going to be as bad as it seemed,” he tried, not very convincingly. “Crowds and panic are kind of a bad combination for the collective memory, you know?” The fighter looked down at his hands, rusty brown still staining the edges of his nails despite his earlier scrubbing. The fingers of his good hand had started worrying at the hem of the plain white undershirt given to him by Allyssa’s paramedic, after his own was lost to a biological waste basket somewhere along the way. Hard to think that much blood had been more overactive imagination than memory.

Cid blinked and looked back up at Landon, catching himself before he could further bum the guy out. “This has got to be a pretty good hospital, though,” he added, a little more energetically this time. “A place this size, I’m sure they’ll take good care of everyone. We should be hearing from the docs soon enough.” Cid paused, then pulled out his phone for the umpteenth time, waggling it in Landon’s direction. His question was hopeful, if a little wary. “Hey, don’t suppose you’ve been able to get through to anyone?”

Landon Lux
PM
^
Landon Lux
 Posted: Oct 18 2016, 07:29 AM
Landon Lux
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kaien

BERRIES 1040

POSTS 167

He nodded at the warning about the nurses pulling people out. It made sense, given the large amount of people here, but still, he wanted to be here. What if the families of his injured friends weren't here? What if they had no one here for them when they woke up? He couldn't imagine. After all, most of them weren't from LA. They were from all around the US, and it's not like they had the chance to call their loved ones before the incident. He couldn't leave until he knew they had people here for them. If not, he would be their people. It was the least he could do.

"Hey, thanks man. I appreciate it. I'm sure between the two of us we could get them to let us stay." Landon tried to return the smile, and was only a slight bit more successful. It was hard being positive in such a terrible situation, but he was certainly going to try. All those years as a nurse taught him how to buckle down and get to work on injured pokemon, but nothing could teach him how to remain positive and not think about the pain and suffering while he sits here waiting. He wanted to do something, to help somehow, but his experience was with pokemon, not humans. And he couldn't bring himself to abandon his friends to go help at the pokemon hospital right now. Not until he knew they were okay and taken care of.

Listening as Cid talked about the hospital, he wasn't sure how to comment. The fact that everyone was coming here first was a good thing. The ER's received a rating against others in the area as a level of trauma, and the best ranking hospital is the one that all major trauma cases will go to. If they get too filled, then other hospitals will be delegated cases as needed. But the fact that this was the main point of reference for the victims to be sent to was a good sign. It had to be the best, and they needed to believe in the doctors and nurses here to take care of their friends and family. It was all they could do, since they could do these amazing things themselves. His hand fidgeted, as he continued to wonder if there was anything he could do to help.

Before he had a chance to respond to the comments about the hospital however, the young man had pulled out his phone and asked another questions. In response, he pulled out his own, looking at the lock screen that showed no new notifications. Which meant nobody had gotten in touch with him yet. "Nope. I haven't had any luck yet." There had to be a reason for it aside from them being badly hurt though, right? "In all that chaos though, I'm pretty sure a lot of people probably lost their phones. Phones fall out of pockets all the time when people run, so I wouldn't be too worried." He tried to comfort both Cid and himself, with possibly varying success. His own mind was still battling on that theory, but at least it was plausible. It's happened to him before while training, why couldn't it happen when you were running away from hostile pokemon?

The trainer quickly realized the last thing they were doing was getting their minds off of the craziness and worry. Maybe that's what they really needed. It was advice he'd given to pokemon owners during surgery before. Read a book, go get something to eat, play a game, do something to keep your mind off of it until the operation is over. "So, Cid, what do you do anyway? I'm currently an aspiring trainer, but I'm also a fully trained pokemon nurse as well. Been in the profession for about 4 years now." Hopefully he'd be able to help at least this one guy get his mind off things. Even just a little difference would make him feel a little better about being sidelined in this situation.
PM
^
Placido Ibarra
 Posted: Dec 13 2016, 11:48 PM
Placido Ibarra
Idaho 26 Gym Trainer
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kitkat

BERRIES 3595

POSTS 132

Cid nodded in agreement, almost guiltily tucking his phone away. He realized Landon had tried to comfort him using the exact line he would’ve used on someone else, and he wasn’t sure if that made it better or worse. The optimist in him finally decided on better. He’d dropped his phone more times than he could count just walking. He could hang onto that theory, even if just by his fingernails. “Plus, everyone and their abuela are probably overloading the lines right now.”

Landon’s distraction gamble paid off, Cid’s eyebrows popping up like a physical indicator of his energy. Dealing with potentially-dangerous pokemon with potentially-dangerous side-effects to their injuries or illnesses didn’t seem like a job for the weak of heart or stomach, despite the innocuous title of ‘nurse’. “A pokemon nurse? That’s badass, man! Is there like a general practice kinda deal, or do you have to specialize by type?” Cid didn’t know the specifics, but he’d met enough medics on the wrestling circuit to hear some horror stories about fire-types with sinus issues. “Bet all that medical knowledge really gives you an edge in battles, huh?”

Cid’s phone was forgotten for the moment, joining the cold coffee as an afterthought in light of this new information. He desperately latched onto the possible advantages being a nurse might provide in a battle, the way his own past made the physical parts easier to plan.

“I’m an ‘aspiring trainer’ too, actually. Well, I mean I’m technically a new gym trainer, with Idaho? But I pretty much started those two paths at the same time, if that makes any sense to anyone.” Cid flapped a hand at the failed explanation. “Kinda late to the whole trainer game, myself. Was in, uh… ‘sports entertainment’ before this. That’s why I was at the convention, we were manning the Idaho booth.” Well, he’d supposed to have been manning the Idaho booth, but that hadn’t turned out quite as planned. Quick, stop digging and get out of that hole, stupid. “You been through that gym yet? Our badge is the shiniest. And the hardest to get -- or so they keep telling me. That might just be bragging, but I wouldn't be surprised.”

Landon Lux
PM
^
Landon Lux
 Posted: Mar 22 2017, 09:34 AM
Landon Lux
Advanced Member

PLAYED BY Kaien

BERRIES 1040

POSTS 167

[OOC: Sorry I'm literally the worst! I forgot this was waiting on me x.x]

His expression brightened up a bit at the mention of his profession being 'basass'. Certainly not the first word people jump to usually when he mentions he's a nurse. There's a strange stigma that nurses are just side-line wanna-be doctors that should all be female for some odd reason. It was generally a surprise to people that he was one, for his looks and physique rather than it being impressive in any way. It was refreshing to get such a positive reaction to it, especially with everything going on. The fact that the subject had proven to be so successful in distracting Cid's mind was awesome as well.

"You can specialize, but I went into general practice for a more wide-spread knowledge. Of course, any knowledge you get is influenced by where you're at and what kind of pokemon actually come in. In school I studied as many of the different species as I could, but up in Seattle you generally saw the same kind of pokemon coming through on a daily basis. Of course, with the city being as busy as it is, I certainly got my fair share of diverse experiences." Looking back, he knew he'd been right in picking general. He may not have the detailed knowledge a specialist would get, but his wide foundation for treating pokemon in general had it's advantages.

Especially on the battlefield, which was the young man's next question. "Well, its got its ups and downs. On the one hand, I think it helps me to notice things about others pokemon - like where sensitive or weak points on their bodies are - that gives me a bit of an edge in battle. However, I think it sometimes makes me hesitate too much, ya know? Since I've spent so long working to heal pokemon, it's been a little difficult to switch gears to battling them instead. I'm working through it, but it's a battle with my instincts." Landon had thought he'd been prepared for the change originally, but as it turns out it was much more troubling than he'd planned.

The nurse's eye rose at the comment about being a gym trainer. Just starting out and he's got a job at a gym? Now that was impressive. "A gym trainer. That's awesome man. And sports entertainment? What sports do you play?" In the past, Landon had never really had much time for sports, but he played casually when he could. His studies and work towards his future were more important, so the hobby had been side-lined very early in life. Though looking back, he had no regrets.

"Nah, haven't been to Idaho yet. I just started a few months ago, so I haven't even taken on the Arizona gym yet. So I can't really attest to how tough it is to get or how shiny the badge is, but I'm pumped to get it one day." He chuckled, weak and light but still there. The way Cid spoke about it spoke measures already. "So I guess that means I'll be taking you on one day as well. Small world, huh?" He smiled softly, wondering how long it would take him to get there. He supposed it would depend on how well he and his team did on the first badge challenge, and how long it takes him to finally feel ready to even try. It was a new kind of test he'd never done before, and it made him both anxious and excited.
PM
^

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll